This question seems hauntingly familiar [Linked Image] Deja Vu all over again.

You walked into it smokey! But, seriously, everybody has their opinions and applications for each option. Personally, anything industrial, I go with the ground up. The accepted logic is that sheet metal (and other conductive objects) can slide between the cord cap and the outlet, and with the ground DOWN, this can obviously cause a short. Not only could this cause damage to other sensitive equipment on the circuit, a sticky or bad breaker could let the fault linger enough to cause a fire. I'm sure the other folks on this forum have additional reasons for "ground-up" outlets.

On the other hand, for residential and "office" applications, people just don't want to see an "upside-down" (ground-up) outlet. They're used to seeing things a certain way, and that's the way they want it. Logic does not enter into it. Nobody wants to spend 4 hours flipping all the outlets on a finished job because the homeowner is weirded-out.

I have, however, flipped an outlet (ground-up) in residential work to identify a half-hot. This is usually appreciated by homeowners as long as they understand why it is done.

My $0.02, anyway