Hey thanks again for all the responses, the more I read the more it is interests me really..
The one truck in question that we have is an 86 international with a DT466 or a
DT 466"E", something like that anyway, the other truck of which I haven't really stuck my head in yet is a GMC but the actual model and engine I know nothing about at this time.

Unfortunately the International does not have an EGT gauge and I have no way of telling how hot the exhaust is getting.. the GMC MIGHT. As a matter of fact I will be trying to start that old pig tomorrow so I will find out.
Just off the wall again.. The bossman sent myself and 2 others for our DZ ( truck + air brake endorsement) licence, of which all three of us passed. Just wondering if there is any tips , advice or information we should know in general about these diesels or any diesel in general. Just things we should do or not do or watch out for kind of thing.
Thanks yet again fellas!

Oh ya, Trainwire: Black smoke, red embers and some flame out the top of the stack when the Cat was "stepped on" after being lightly worked for so long eh? THAT I would have loved to have witnessed, sounds impressive and scary at the same time. I guess basically it had a "chimney fire" of sorts?!

A.D