I see another opportunity here (although I can hear rebuttals forthcoming too)...

Couldn't the electricians and those 'in the know' about code, installation requirements, and safety considerations actually design some fixtures that include the features that YOU all need, plus accommodate and incorporate the artistic and current trends that you've seen recently?

I know you may not have time. Or money. Or artistic flair perhaps. But, you have the technical know-how and I suspect that if you offered a comparably priced object d'art that illuminates the same space that a trashy or poorly-made fixture would, the consumer would probably pick yours since the safety features and the installation costs would be more favorable. I know a few people who have designed a product or improved a design and made an advance in the quality of what's available by doing so.

As an alternate approach, I think that some consumers would rather have your list of 'best or better' fixtures and the matrix of features or reasons that qualify the fixtures for your list (installation ease, match up of fixture to boxes, superior safety features, availability of lamps, etc.) so they could be 'in the know' about options that matter when they're making selections. Many are swayed by the 'pretty pictures' alone, drawn by a designer who is probably trying to make a visual statement above all else.

[This message has been edited by BuggabooBren (edited 02-06-2002).]