Were the reflector you used polished aluminum, or some sort of coating or paint? A lot of fixures use shiny reflectors now, most of them MIRO

They looked just like this (from the Alanod website) and were some sort of coated/treated metal:

[Linked Image from alanod.com]

Maybe the technology has improved (this was 6-8 years ago), but the ones we installed were the pits. The coating dulled and discolored over time, especially if you happened to have touched it during installation. They also got dusty - very noticeable in fixtures with parabolic lenses. If you tried to wipe the dust off, the coating came with it. The new fixtures no doubt use a much more robust finish, but I'm still keeping my eye on them.

I really like the idea of Metal Halides with electronic ballasts - I'll be looking in to those for an upcoming project. The maintenance factor on the enclosed MH (lo-bay) versions is very low, and the dog-dish lenses do a good job of spreading out the light. If the electronic ballasts solve the noise problem and the cost is right, they sound like a winner.

[This message has been edited by stevecheyenne (edited 01-12-2007).]

[This message has been edited by stevecheyenne (edited 01-12-2007).]