I would not say that, no matter what info you look at airbags have saved many more lives than they have taken.

Bob, [Linked Image] I meant my remark more in the context of airbags (and arc faults) being forced down the public's throat and also giving a false sense of security.

In other words air bags routinely do what they are intended to.

I totally agree that airbags have saved far more lives than they've taken. But I look at airbags as a band-aid to make up for the fact that modern vehicles are lightweight recycled beer can shells, not like the days of old with good solid frames and steel bodies. Despite that, they do indeed work well ...now. The early ones were quite dangerous IIRC , even if they worked "properly."

I have not seen a single bit of evidence that an AFCI has saved anyone.

Exactly! Show me the proof that they have saved someone's life or property..that they will last for years without attention in a crowded panel, then as you pointed out, actually work when needed. (Not likely.)

The currently available AFCIs will not protect the lamp cord.

Yes that is what they where supposed to do....but they don't.

Bingo!! [Linked Image]

And these expensive manufacturer driven requirements will result in much less respect for the NEC.
Don

Something the CMP's better get a grip on soon or we may well see a spike in electrical-related fires and deaths due to boneheaded rules driving the DIY's to do a lot more to avoid the "Expensive EC who swears that I must have those $35 breakers when the $5 one from the Box store works just as good!"

This whole thing makes me want to hurl..... [Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by mxslick (edited 11-28-2006).]

Stupid should be painful.