The only time I specify to have a Transformer mounted on some shelf, or the dreaded "Suspended Above A Ceiling" is due to the Client's request.

For example, if the Forklift Operators have a really bad case of Tunnel Vision (they only see what's directly in front of them, within a 3 foot square window, which is no less than 6 feet above the floor), placing a Transformer on a wall mounted shelf - Which Has Been Designed Properly By A Structural Engineer, is done to eliminate frequent Transformer replacement.

The alternative would involve protecting the Transformer with an array of Bollards (and the Bollards having a very high testosterone level...D-Ohh...)

This would be something discussed during preliminary meetings.

Hanging Transformers above Ceilings would also be (to me) a Design Issue, mentioned to the Client during meetings, or by the Client during same meetings.

I tend to try and find better locations to place Transformers, where they might have issues - especially when it comes to hanging them above Ceilings, but sometimes things just don't workout that way and the Transformer needs to be "Floated" out of harms way.

Being that my Designs are the first half of a complete project (Design/Build), I know that sometime soon I will be hanging and hooking up that Transformer - so reluctance to place it anywhere but on the finished floor begins from that understanding!

Nevertheless, having this "Default Thought Process" of placing heavy Transformers on the floor would trickle over to any design ideal, if I ever do go out and design stuff for others to install.

Scott35

Scott " 35 " Thompson
Just Say NO To Green Eggs And Ham!