I have worked on homes here in San Fran that were wired for 240 during the reconstruction after the quake of 1906. Some even earlier.... 1880's! Some with reminants of DC! Though most of those homes had combination gas/electric lighting - they thought electricity was a fad..... "It'll never get off the ground better keep the gas flowing." There are a few homes that still have operational gas lighting!

My home was built in 1934 and had a 240v 30A service, as most of the housing stock was originally built with. As was the same for all the homes built in the 20's - but most of those were larger and from 50A to 200A services. (much larger homes - early McMansion) Not long ago I removed a 200A service done in 1923, lead sheathed/cambric and cloth UG conductors to a CT cabinet and massive fused disconnect. This was for a single family dwelling... Large architechual lighting. And was high-tech for its day - electric buzzers for the staff... [Linked Image] Another home near this one has an original 240 delta service from 1918, due to its ancient elevator and original Otis controls. PG&E rep told me the distibtion in that area was designed around that house to keep the delta.

We had some early facination with electric lighting here as you can see in this site: http://www.sfmuseum.org/hist10/scint.html

[This message has been edited by e57 (edited 10-28-2006).]

Mark Heller
"Well - I oughta....." -Jackie Gleason