jps; 'Tin-pest' is where the pure tin metal literally crumbles to powder. At or below 55F, the metal can very slowly change from a bright metal phase to a dull gray one, and it is reputed that once started, it rots into the rest of the piece like a canker. Remelting removes the problem, for instance if it occurs in ingots- not much help in an art piece! Very small additions [ say 1 or 2%] of other metals like lead, silver or antimony prevent the 'disease', so lead-bearing solders are not at risk. The 0.5% copper in my alloy may be enough- I don't know- but 'Castin' is definitely not affected. Any lead bearing tin solder is a good choice for outside work; it goes grey with age but will last for centuries.

Joe; Yes,this is a hood ornament, it just says 'RENAULT' in a version of the Company 'diamond' logo. The originals were clear plastic, probably perspex; [these tractors were made in the fifties]. They painted part of the inside surface with a block color, and part of it was 'chromed', so that it looked like a metal badge with enamelled relief. They all fell off as the puny 1/16" diameter cast-plastic rivets snapped! The block colors, BTW, yellow/blue/magenta/green denoted the engines fitted, choice of 4 basic models from 16 thru 35hp.
And yes, now that I will have an RTV mould, I can try a casting in clear resin to better mimic the originals.

Alan

Wood work but can't!