We recently completed a residential family room addition in which we installed hardwired interconnected smoke detectors throughout the house.

The homeowner began complaining about false alarms with the new smoke detectors, sometimes ringing in alarm and sometimes chirping. We began trying to isolate the problem detctor and eventually gave up and replaced all of the smoke detectors with new units. After svereal days I began receiving complaints of the detectors chirping so I replaced all of the 9 volt batteries as well. The Firex tech service guy was unable to give me a logical explanation.

Now the complaint is light bulbs are blowing out quite often, the chirping continues and needless to say the homeowner is convinced it is a wiring problem.

These problems are occurring on different circuits in old and new parts of the house. My thought is there may be some surges coming from the street causing this and I am now considering installing a surge suppresor in the main panel.

The power company came out and said there was no problem on the outside. How can he tell if this is true?

Also, the service is a newer 200 amp service. I have checked all of the connections in the panels, meter socket etc. and eveything seems fine.

Please help!