Here's the situation.
Here in NJ, i upgraded a service on a ranch.

Service is on the side of the house, cable goes around front to a peak located on the front of the house but near the meter side.

Township inspector fails the job for not clearing the driveway for 12ft height. No biggie, GPU comes out, and says if i put a new hook in, up and to the right, they will move the wire, since it's very heavy. Plenty of wire since i left it long. I put hook in.
Today i get a call from a site engineer, they will NOT move the wire. And they want a 16ft. mast on the side of the house. And they want 18ft. of clearance for the road. No way in hell this house can get a mast of 16ft. That means i'd have to put 2 rigid pipes together, and with the distance, i don't care how many guide wires i use, in bad weather it's going to pull this pipe out.
16ft. is like 7-8ft. higher than the roof on that side of the house (it will have to be through the sofit).

Besides, the whole street had Fed Pac panels so almost all are upgraded, all with low wiring, some so low you can touch them without a ladder.
They insist, if a truck takes it out, it's going to be my fault, even though it if did happen it would take out all cable and telephone and most electrical services since they are all low, on the entire street.

It would be alot of work for me to undo my new work, and a $300 charge for the homeowner for a POA change.

BTW, the wire's lowest point on the street is now 16ft. (or close to it), and if i move the wire on the house it will go to about 17ft.

Would you move it? Or just keep argueing with them? I've had similar arguments with them, and the general conscensus around here is that they try and force homeowners to essentually pay for them to upgrade their (gpu) wiring.
In the end, technically speaking, my job is complete when the town says it passes. And the town only wants me to add less than a foot over the driveway, which as i said is easy.
When i put in for the cutting card, shouldn't gpu of told me about this?
I love how they use site engineers that rarely leave the office.

Anyone with any thoughts or experience with this type of situation?

[This message has been edited by 2000xp8 (edited 10-18-2006).]

NJ licensed electrician