Picture this conversation:
Boss - "How did that water heater service call go at Mr. Smiths"
Tech - "Good, found a couple of bad breakers that we replaced, but the main problem was a bad element. I told him to call a plumber"
Boss - "ok"

I'll add this:
Boss - "ok - well the customer called the plumber, who said there was nothing wrong, and who also called another electrician who found some bad splices and fixed it. - Now they want thier money back."
[dumbfounded look]
Boss - "How did you determine it was the water heater? Or did you? I went by there today and they handed me two burned splices and a picture of where they came from, with a bill from the Plumber and Electrician who fixed it."

Reno I would definately charge for it! (Technicaly since the Plumber called you, I would bill him, and he can tack it on to his.) I too have been in the same situation many times. I don't know what your bill was, or if they are refusing to pay? But I am always sceptical walking in as the "second Electrician", and on occasion the third.... So this is one time I don't mind, and would preffer the customer to look over my shoulder - and I'll explain as I go. Just to avoid finger-pointing. If I find something that can be visable, I take a picture of it now. And detail the Job Describtion to the letter. In this case would go just like this:

"Water Heater Non-operational, Voltage at Branch Breaker OK, Voltage deficiant at equipment junction. Splices found in LB next to panel in poor condition. New conductors pulled. Water Heater operation confirmed."

You'll be surprised how fast a copy of that makes it to the other company, along with the bill from the Plumber. You may not have to call them, they might call you...

Mark Heller
"Well - I oughta....." -Jackie Gleason