tells me he wants generator back up for the computer room, etc. etc., The job is suppose to be through by 11/18/06, but he still hasn't started demolition on old part, has no prints to go by

One of the Design / Build Projects I am currently doing Plans for, is a New Standby Genny for the Customer's Network Equipment Room.
One Existing Panelboard, fedfrom an existing 150 Amp Feeder; existing dedicated HVAC equipment on same Panelboard - as are the Servers (Rack Mounted Equipment).

I also "Became Elected" to draw the Architectural + Structural (Concrete) details, along with the Electrical Plan pages of the complete set.

Submitted Plans to Building Department originally in the last week of August.

Since I are eeelecktrikal injunear, never really had to go through the steps which Architects do - until now!!!

Planning Division: Screening, exact locations, etc. - all a nice new lesson for me, and thankfully did not get the Planning Division examiner irritated with me!
11 working days later (and a revised planset), got the "Okee-Dokee" approval stamp from the Planning Division.

Now to submit the Planset to Building!

Needed Plansets for:
* Building,
* Electrical,
* Police Department,
* Fire Department.

Submitted what I had, and waited for the Plancheck Corrections list.

* Building (outsourced plans examination): All very basic, except concrete and seismic calculations. These are being done by a P.E. and will bear this person's stamp.

* Electrical: No revisions necessary (very nice report from the in-house examiner!).

* Police Department: Not required for this project (not close enough to bother Residential'ers).

* Fire Department: 3 pages of Fire Department required corrections!
This ends up to be at least 2 separate pages in the planset.

I received the plancheck corrections beginning of last week, and expect to have a master vellum set ready for blackline copy by Monday of next week (10-16-2006).
Originally, the Planset was 4 pages - now it will be 7 pages. Fortunately, some of these things may be billed as an extra!

So what I am getting at is your client's "Dream Date" of an 11/18/2006 completion, could easilly become a "Reality Date" of something like 03/30/2007!!!

I never knew so much stuff was required for Planchecking of a "Seemingly Simple Item" (the Generator).
Then again, I never took on all the related submittals - only our portion, the Electrical! (just submit our design consepts on several blackline copies, Architect takes on the majority of Plancheck submittals, I deal with Electrical Plancheck).

Scott35

p.s. As already mentioned + done, you are better off letting someone with I.T. Room cooling experience take on this task!

Not sure if very many people reading this post have been in Server / I.T. Rooms (NERs), but in a nutshell, Ice Cream melts Wayyyyy Slooowwwllly in these rooms!!!
(you can keep your Lunch fresh and Sodas cool in these rooms!)

Scott " 35 " Thompson
Just Say NO To Green Eggs And Ham!