I am not the greatest estimator around, and only quote prices on smaller, personal jobs [fortunately I haven't lost my shirt!]. Profit was meager from them, however the experience and lessons learned kind of made up for the "just breaking even" aspect [Linked Image].

Seems to me, though, when I hear the words "Free Estimates", it's referring to Residential Service work, and to a customer that both has little or no idea what needs to be done and wants 10 days worth of labor for 1/2 days price.

I personally do not do any Residential Service work - only the occasional Friend or Relative that is in immediate danger [Linked Image] gets my attention, so I am unsure of all this stuff.

When it comes to Commercial Service, I have never heard the term "Free Estimates".

Even when I do PC / LAN workstations Service and troubleshooting, there is no "Free Estimates". This is work I do solely by myself.
The only ones that get free services are the friends and family that bring their complete system to me for troubleshooting. These usually result in a complete hard disk format, because the OS is completely hung!

[AKA - Blue Screen O' Death [Linked Image]]

Just my thoughts - let the flames begin!!! [Linked Image]

Scott

Scott " 35 " Thompson
Just Say NO To Green Eggs And Ham!