I had a weird day on Friday at my work place (at the home center with the blue sign). Since I broke my foot in two places, I wasn't supposed to work because I can't wear a regular shoe. But since OSHA doesn't care about what I do at my house, I decided it was time I replaced my porch light, so I went shopping where I work. A customer recognized me as an employee and asked me to cut some wire. I told him I can't do it for him, but I'd get someone to help him (since I'm a nice guy). I got the electrical associate, and he asked the customer what he needed. "I need some 12 gauge thhn for 3 phase... you know red, black, blue, white, green." We knew what colors he needed, but he might have thought we didn't know (those are also the only colors we stock at our store. You want purple? We don't got no stinkin purple! [Linked Image])

So the associate asked him how long he needed it. The customer said "I need 500 metric inches, that's what I measured."

The associate was at a loss for words. He thought it was a practical joke, so I jumped in and asked if he meant centimeters. "No, my tape measure says 'metric inches'" I asked to look at his tape measure. It actually read "metric" on top and "Inches" on the bottom. It seemed to be a no-name dollar store that suffered a language barrier. I asked him if he used the top or bottom to measure, and he said the top. I told him, "Sir, just to let you know, those are centimeters," to which he said, "Don't give me that, I know how to use the mectric (that's how he pronounced it) system." So we gave him 17 feet of wire. I told him, "Since we measure in american feet, I have to give you 519 metric inches." He was upset about the whole ordeal, but the associate and I shrugged it off. As soon as he turned the corner, we were laughing so hard that I forgot about the pain in my foot.

I wonder how many metric amps you can put through #12 american wire. It's also good that my store has a no liabilty policy. If someone doesn't know how to use a system of measuring, I'd hate to know what they're wiring up that's three phase.

Eidted for disclaimer: Not knocking the metric system, as I am fluent in both. Just making fun of the customer with the "metric amps" part.

[This message has been edited by PEdoubleNIZZLE (edited 08-14-2006).]

[This message has been edited by PEdoubleNIZZLE (edited 08-14-2006).]