Been meaning to throw this question out there for some time now.

Is there an industry standard for rough make-up?

Been doing it this way for about 16 years...
  • Conductors for each device taped together, and rolled in the position they will go in ganged situations.
  • Travelers twisted together (4-ways in and out twisted seperate, and taped to thier ground)
  • Commons of 3-ways and switch legs of single poles with a with a tight loop on the conductor. (3-ways travelers twisted seperate, and taped to thier common and ground)
  • Line side of GFI's taped to ground, load taped seperatly to them.
  • Recepticals just get the hot, neutral and ground taped together.

Like I said, been doing it this way for about 16 years now, just about everyone I have worked under, with, or those coming on below me have been simular with few exceptions. Some, instead of tape, the ground is used to bind the conductors together. Some mark circuit number in box, some do not....

Anyway, I recently have had someone (The PM for the Company...) suggest that it should be standard to make little markers out of romex sheath, and mark each conductor, "Hot", "Neutral", "Travelers", "Line", "Load", and what the switch leg is for, i.e. "Cans" etc. Which is done by a few people in the company I currently work for, and I often fine these labels coated in paint, unreadable, or missing. I also see it as time consuming and redundant...

What do you think, and do you know of any other methods?

Mark Heller
"Well - I oughta....." -Jackie Gleason