Radar -

A friend of mine (electrician C-10) was asked to service a "target ship" that was had fried some sort of electronics circuit board. The Navy wanted Dan (my friend) to check the electrical system as they did no want to just fry another board (several thousand dollars for this board).

This is from "memory" so I may not have it all correct:

The boat had 480V 3-phase with each phase going to a separate transformer that put out
240/120V. Dan said that there was no “neutral”. He also said the voltages were really “strange” from phase to ground (I don’t recall the voltages) and were well under 120V.

I think he also said that phase to phase measurements were 120V.

I talk with him a second time and he said he had spoken to a “Square D” rep who when told of the particulars asked if it was a ship and especially if it was a navy ship.

LarryC –

What carrier were you on? I was on the USS Ranger (CV-61) with the Marine A6-E squadron for the 1987 and 1989 WestPacs.

All –

Thanks for the info. One doesn’t get to see (and I didn’t get to personally) these sorts of strange things everyday, but it’s great to be able to toss out a question here and be able to get good answers.

Steve

Thanks
Steve