Folks often confuse "fact" with marketing. That neither our world, or our language, are perfect means that there will always be room for confusion, uncertainty, and - most importantly- an opportunity for Wormtougues to operate!

Everyone claims that their product is somehow better, or different, that the other guys- even if the competitors both got their product from the exact same source, at the exact same time. These claims persist, even when the sham is exposed, or countless studies proove otherwise.

We also forget that our system is based upon a model that claims that the "market" will eventually sort out the gold from the dross. While this model is in direct conflict with other models -such as those based upon engineering or logic- it has prooven to be remarkably efficient, and correct; indeed, it has out-performed a number of other models.

Likewise, some folks try to have it both ways- they want to "sell" you something, promise you everything,.... then try to retain control of what they just sold!
Again, there are any number of things that are acting to counter this. ANSI, and other trade standards, are one. ISO 2000 certification is another. There are government specs, or "Mil-spec" materials.

Many manufacturers see competition as a bad thing; they do all they can to preclude others from competing. This is, in my mind, akin to Nazi Germany asking the Olimpic committee to limit competition to blond haired, Aryan types- so they wouldn't have to race against Jessie Owens! (Which did NOT happen- Germany was silly enough to assume their guy would win!)
We see this with cordless drills; there are only two manufacturers of NiCd batteries, yet every tool maker wants the case just different enough to make you use their own product.

Over the past decade, there have been a number of laws enacted that greatly limit the conditions a manufacturer can place on its' warranties. Yet, the nature of things is such that challenging a spurious rejection of a warranty claim is probibitively expensive (in both time and money).
The solution? Again, the market will out-perform any lawyer in resolving things. In my own case, when a certain prominent firm tried making excuses, rather than honor their warranty, I voted with my feet. I delight in showing folks how my cheap import has out-lasted, and out-performed, the self-proclaimed "Rolls-Royce" of that market!