A residential roofer was killed Fri. Story here

First and foremost, my sympathies go out to the mans family.

Although I do not know the details, I would not be surprised to find out that the young man was working as a "sub-contractor" and not covered by any workers comp. If this is the case it brings to light a problem that the legitimate contractors have been battling for years. Many small general contractors will sell these types of jobs and hire crews as sub contractors. These sub-contractors are then enticed by the appearance of "big money" and will then hire buddies under the table.

Although this particular instance involves a residentual roofing / remodeling contractor, it is something that all aspects of contracting have to deal with, from landscaping on up through all of the trades.

This has been a sore spot with me for many years, although there are laws in place that are supposed th police this sort of thing they are rarely enmforced letting the cycle continue, leaving the legitimate contractors to fight an uphill struggle against others that do not have anywhere near the overhead that is supposedly required.

FRANK