I did something today that I probably should not have done.

We installed a new service at a store (120/208 3-phase 400A). There was an existing service located at the front center of the store that included a C.T. cabinet and remote meter.

We installed a new meter socket with a 400A disconnect (breaker) on the side of the building and ran a subfeed (120/208 400A) to the existing C.T. cabinet. The power company disconnected the old service and abandoned the old metering equipment and C.T.s.

I thought "Why not use the old lugs on the old C.T.s as a splice block. That way I don't have to buy any." So, thats what I did. I terminated the black, red and just as I cut the blue to length, the lead lineman came in a asked what I was doing. I explained my idea. He told me that it wasn't a good idea because if the C.T.s were not being used for metering, they would literally burn up.

Well, at this point it was too late because the wires were cut and were too short to connect to the other wires eliminating the c.t.s. So, after some checking, I learned that if I disconnected the metering wires from the C.T.s and shorted the secondary terminals on the c.t.s everything would be OK.

I would like to know from you guys if this is all true because right now the store is operating through the old c.t.s and I did short the secondaries as instructed.

Just so you know, I won't be doing this again. Ever.

thanks
Brian