I'm trying to use a backup generator to power a limited number of circuits in a house. I am using a Reliance Power Transfer Switch box to take power from the generator (rated 5000W steady state and 6250 starting) into selected breakers in the switch box. All the other circuits work, but the Trane XE 80 furnace/blower will not start/run.

I've run a number of scenarios trying to figure this out. With power into the panel I open all the breakers except the one for the furnace (15amps). The furnace works. Again, only power in house is on that breaker.

However, when I run the generator and switch to generator power on the same breaker, the furnace will not start. I've checked the voltage (with the generator running the circuit) at the furnace and it reads ~ 130V AC. It's getting power to the circuit but for some reason the furnace will not kick over.

I even changed around the wiring on the Reliance relay box in case there were problems with that (which is probably not case since I have 130V at furnace anyway). I've even tried just powering the one breaker with the generator.

Help.