Here in the "Old Pueblo" we have a good many mud adobe structures, some dating back as far as the 1800's. In recent years these historical homes have been in such demand that they are being bought up by big money and restored. One of the problems with mud adobe is getting a panel to "stick" on the outside wall. The ancient original services were so tiny that a board with 6 or 8" nails driven at angles was a sufficient mounting surface. But try hanging a 40/40 200 amp meter combo with an overhead service drop!

So far I have: 1. ran allthread thru the wall and bolted it on the inside and 2. Drilled out the mounting holes then twist the drill around to make a cone shaped hole, smaller at the surface, so a large toggle bolt will grab hold. For the mast we drill thru the parapet and use allthread and a large steel plate on the backside.

My question is for those who have dealt with real mud adobe, if you have any tricks or ideas that might help to secure a panel to the exterior wall. I am thinking of using epoxy to anchor some long 1/4" bolts facing out, then return the next day and mount up 2 pieces of unistrut & bolting the panel to the strut. I also thought of building a 4x4 and plywood stand like a temp service but that is a lot of work, especially with the ground out here being very hard to dig.

So it would be great if anyone has any tricks or ideas to offer.......

Thanks...Brian, Tucson, AZ.