This is why I often refer to water as a bond/electrode, once you bond it, it is by proxy an electrode in the grand sceme of things. (In the world of copper piping at least) Part of the system.

And "shall" does in effect mean "must'...

"Shall: indicating that something must happen or somebody is obliged to do something because of a rule or law."

Or: "Mandatory"
90.5 Mandatory Rules, Permissive Rules, and Explanatory Material.
(A) Mandatory Rules. Mandatory rules of this Code are those that identify actions that are specifically required or prohibited and are characterized by the use of the terms shall or shall not.

If a metal water pipe is there, it has to become part of the system. Many places considered it as the primary electrode... I think just because it was on top of the list... [Linked Image]

Now if it were a metal pipe inside, and a PVC underground outside, that would be different. At which point it is no longer an electrode. But it still would have to be bonded due to 250.104.

BTW Bob.... What is it about grounding these days that has you in such a tizzy? Is there a problem with the grounding system at home? Feel free to lay back on the couch and relax... It's better if you talk about it... [Linked Image]

Mark Heller
"Well - I oughta....." -Jackie Gleason