Don't get too upset just yet. The first step is to check the laws of your local jurisdiction to find out what is required. Here in Tennessee, the state issues a Limited Licensed Electrician license that covers work up to $25,000 anywhere outside of the major cities that have their own codes enforcement offices. (The major cities require you to pass their licensing exam unless you hold a full state Electrical Contractors license.) I probably had about the same amount of experience as you, and passed the exam given by Experior (Thomson Prometric) covering a limited amount of the NEC after only 2 weeks of study. There is no experience requirement for this license.

With a little more experience (generally 3 years) one can then apply for a full state Electrical Contractor's license (master electrician). I studied for an additional two weeks and passed this exam given by Experior on the entire NEC. 70% of the exam is just a matter of finding the answers in the code. If you get familiar with the NEC and can find stuff fairly quickly, AND you are pretty good at taking exams, then you should be able to pass. You then have to pass the Business and Law exam - which is also open book. I studied for 24 hours on this and passed.

What it really boils down to is your local requirements and your ability to learn and pass tests. However, if you succeed in getting your license, just remember one thing - there is a HUGE difference between learning the "book" stuff and actually having experience. Take it slow, know and respect your limits, and seek qualified help and advice if you are the least bit unsure of what you are doing.

Best wishes!

Kevin

Kevin