A fellow electrician called me to ask about an installation he did. I will do my best to describe it...

From a POCO transformer he ran 1 - 3" raceway to a 200amp underground meter cabinet (single phase). From the meter cabinet he ran another 3" raceway to the building. This installation is at a cell site which requires the meter to be mounted seperate from the building.

The prints called out the POCO transformer was 240v when in actuality it is 480V. This mistake required the addition of a 480-240/120v transformer at the building. The inspector requested a means of disconnect be installed prior to the second transformer. The electrician nippled out the back of the meter cabinet into a disconnect. He then installed the 3/0 wire in the following manner:

1) The 3 - 3/0 coming from the POCO transformer enter the bottom of the meter cabinet, travel thru a nipple from the meter cabinet into the disconnect and terminate on the line side of the disconnect.

2) 3 - 3/0 come off the load side of the disconnect, travel thru another nipple back into the meter cabinet and terminate on the line side of the meter.

3) 3 - 3/0 come off the load side of the meter and enter the 3" raceway located in the bottom of the meter cabinet and travel to the transformer.

The POCO will not accept the installation due to the fact that the wires from their transformer terminate on the disconnect, not the meter.

The inspector does not like the installation but says there is nothing in the Code against it.

Opinions ?