This thing has been in the making since the bill was introduced in February 1999
The members that you've seen here with our criticisms have been following this thing for a long time, and have (i think) earned our right to criticise,
  • Mark (e57) has had a website for years dedicated exclusively to this issue, and has done extensive research, including attending meetings of the CAC.
  • Larry (Sandsnow) as well as being a much respected inspector is an instructor that has been preparing students for this test at one of the accredited schools. (His wife is also heavily involved in the educational process)
  • I was as far as I know, the first non-union electrician in the State to be certified (in early 2003), and have followed this thing the best I could since its inception 4 years before that

We long ago quit "fighting it"

The way it works is:

The paperwork for journeyman applicants must be sent in by Dec 30, 2005. They will have until June 1, 2006 to take and pass the exam.
In the interim, they will be allowed to continue to work. If they don't take and pass the exam by 6-1-2006, they will need to submit the Trainee Registration form and enroll in an approved Trainee program.

Trainees have the same deadline of Dec 30, 2005 to submit their paperwork. They must be enrolled in a State approved school by 7-2-2006 if they live within 70 miles of a school. If they are beyond the 70 mi radius, they are still required to submit paperwork by 12-30-05.

The deadline for data techs has been extended until 2007

Contractors will be expected to lay off or fire non compliant employees. Those employees will not be able to legally work.

Contractors in violation may be barred from employing uncertified individuals (trainees/apprentices) in the future. There are no "fines" specified at this time.

Enforcement will be handled at the local level (GCs, Workmen's Comp, etc.)

The most important thing is to get that paperwork and the fees in by the deadline

General Electrician is the classification for employees of Electrical Contractors other than Residential Electricians, Fire Life Safety Electricians, or Data Techs.
GEs will not be limited to the restrictions that have been placed on the other classifications.

As to the way it's been handled, here's a typical example:
The California Apprenticeship Council did not know that there was a problem with the testing facilities' contract, and as of now, there will be no testing available as of Jan 1 until it's resolved.
Right on top of it, they are [Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by electure (edited 12-18-2005).]