So I had to sacrifice a good chunk of my Saturday for work. Not that I usually mind, but this time we had to drive an hour and a half--to a house that'd already pass rough inspection and been sheetrocked-- because the H/O discovered we'd run aluminum SEU to a furnace. Our job? Rip out the aluminum and install copper.

If someone wants copper just to be eccentric, fine, it's their dollar. But come to find out the HVAC guys had been telling them that the aluminum SEU we installed would burn down their house. They HVAC guys had it happen a number of times in the past where they had terminated the cable and it eventually caused fires.

No amount of logic (including telling them the service wires were aluminum) would convince the H/O otherwise. And when the HVAC installer actually showed up, his "proof" to me was a sticker inside a condenser unit saying AL shouldn't be terminated on the lugs. Makes sense, because those lugs were only rated for copper! (Which we used.)

Basically, it came down to a whole bunch of wasted time and the H/O's wasted money, because the HVAC guys didn't know the first thing about dual-rated lugs. But that didn't stop them from freely doing, and dispensing advice about, electrical work.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image]

-John

[This message has been edited by BigJohn (edited 12-03-2005).]