Hello everyone! This will be sort of long but I just had a few questions regarding the physical toll this trade can take on your body.

I am a new apprentice (have been working 6 months) and I have been enjoying working in this trade and learning as much as possible. I am enrolled in a NECA/NJATC program with my local union and have rotated between many commercial projects so far.

My question revolves around the physical toll this work takes on you. At least half the journeymen I have worked with have had surgery to correct a problem that was caused by the trade. A good number more live with chronic aches and pains and more than a few are using legal and illegal drugs to combat the pain.

I'm young and in fairly decent shape and even I am starting to develop some chronic pain in my wrists and ankles that wasn't there 6 months ago. Is this common for the trade? Do most craftsmen just live with it their entire lives? Are there things I can do to slow this "wearing down" process? I know we all get older but a lost of these guys are in their late 30's and early 40's and some have had 3-4 surgeries already!

I want to continue in this trade but I am starting to have my doubts if it is going to wear down my body this much. Don't get me wrong - I am a very hard worker and I'm not just complaining about working hard or dealing with a few aches and pains. I'm talking about real cumulative damage to your body. Any thoughts or advice on this topic is appreciated. Thanks!