Believe it or not (it is your choice to believe it, but ignorance is "bliss", will not work in these cases), it is mandated by OHSA that the electrical contractor on construction jobsites be responsible for checking all electrical cords for all other trades. I am not sure how or why that determination evolved, but it is a fact.

Every cord is to be check by continuity, and visual to make sure all of the conductor/contacts are in proper order, and the insulation (outer cord) is to be visually checked - the best part is this is to be documented.

If you do not want to believe this, that is fine, but sticking your head in the sand leaves your BUTT in the air for target practice.

We all know what goes on, and that is because no one is policing this, but one day it will bite someone.
A Construction worker was killed on a jobsite recently where we work - the temporary wiring was a mess, and his cord was nicked. He was electrocuted when the damaged portion of his cord was in a puddle, and he walked into the puddle.

When I hear more, I will let you know what happens, who is sued, etc...

Stallcup has a couple of books written in english that make this topic a little easier to understand, and find the proper requirements.

[This message has been edited by PCBelarge (edited 11-06-2005).]

Pierre Belarge