Hi, guys. It's been awhile since I've posted, but I've been extremely busy [Linked Image] Good for the bill collectors etc......
Anyway, I was changing a service today, and after taking the existing wires off the old breakers, I felt a "tingle" on one of the 220 circuits ( with the wire off the breaker.) I got my meter and checked it. I was getting around 25 volts, but the voltage would start going down immediately. I checked it again and the same thing. I was too involved in trying to get their power back on to worry about it then, so I taped the ends of the wires and proceeded to finish changing the panel out. After I pulled the meter and had my new panel mounted and was about to tie the new breakers back in, I thought I would check the wires again, just for curiousity, knowing for sure they couldn't be any power on it now. In fact, I said to myself, "if there's power on them now, I've got a problem. Guess what? It was still there. I've got to go back tommorrow to finish the job. The only thing I can get out of this, is that somehow the telephone line in somewhere in contact with this circuit and somehow bleeding through??? If that is the case, then the high voltage must be bleeding onto the telephone circuit somehow??? The homeowner came home and I asked her about if she had some sort of other power supply in the house ( her mother is sickly, and I thought maybe for her sake they may have some sort of back up or something). She said "no, she did not, but that her telephones were still working when the power was off, which leads me to think she had the standard phones and not a cordless phone which requires 120 volt for the adapter. Another thing I guess it could be, she said something about batteries, so the voltage could be coming from the batteries in her phone system, what ever type it is ( I know there are several new types of phones out there), but it would still have to be in contact with the 220 volt line somewhere it looks like. Anyone ever come across this, or have any ideas? Thanks for listening. This is a new one for me. When you think you've been through it all, there seems always to be something new. Keeps our line of work challenging [Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by sparkync (edited 10-17-2005).]