Need some opinions please.
Went on a service call today for a hot tub (installed a year ago) that has recently started tripping the 50 amp GFCI. I found a 6/3 with ground--both egc and ungrounded conductor were landed on the ground bar in at the tub but in the disconnect I found the the egc was not attached to anything and the ungrounded conductor was capped off (looks to me to be no ground at all!!)

The tub had a sticker that stated it only required three wires. I placed the egc in the disconnect gound bar and then once I placed the ungrounded conductor in the appropriate lug on the GFCI breaker it tripped immediately. So I removed the egc from both ground bars and everything seemed fine. (I believe that the egc was occasionally making contact to the disconnect housing that was causing the tripping to start in the first place)

Then talked to the tub retailer and he tells me that the grounded conductor should be removed from the breaker and placed in the disconnect ground bar. He claimed that because there is no neutral on the tub that the GFCI breaker protects the two ungrounded conductors from ground faults.

Is this right?? It seems to me that there would be no ground fault protection if the ungrounded conductor (which in essence is the egc now) is not landed on the breaker lug instead of the ground bar at the disconnect.

The schematic only shows wiring inside the tub--not in the disconnect.

can anyone also provide any reference material in support for or against the retailers recommendation?

thanx