In another thread I've mentioned a panel change from an FPE to a GE.

In this particular installation, the plumbers installed the water heater almost directly in front of the panel, enough to bust working clearances, but not enough to keep the door from being opened 90 degrees.
This happened 22 years ago. I reiterate that the panel was there FIRST.

It had dawned on me AFTER I had bid the job that I may have to move the panel to pass the inspection. So after calling the inspector to ask his opinion (always the best option) he says that the WH has to be five feet away from the panel which would require one of the two to be in a different room! I can't find anything in the Code to back this up...

My argument is that the panel change is NOT an upgrade ( say from 100A to 200A) but rather a "repair" (replacement) of an existing panel. If the inspector wishes to thwart the work by giving the customer a reason to feel that he/she can't afford to do "all that", then are we giving justice to the intention of the Code? (Safety)

Just where is the line for grandfathering -in old work? This house has no GFCI's and no dedicated 20A kitchen or bath circuits, etc. has 60C wire and a three-wire cable feeding the range. Where does it stop? Do I have to rewire the whole house for my original bid of $350???

The inspector agreed to let it slide "this time" but has gave me a warning for the future...

And I'm considering becoming an inspector....Hmmmmm

A panel is usually installed well before a water heater in construction, so who is reponsible for busting the clearance code?
Plumbers can really screw with a sparky's bids by placing their crap in front of our panels when we're the one's blamed for it...

[This message has been edited by sparky66wv (edited 02-09-2001).]

-Virgil
Residential/Commercial Inspector
5 Star Inspections
Member IAEI