Sorry didn't read the post properly.Where in the circuit is it now wired?What type of machine and How many stop pb's Are they remote?Generally the stops are the very first device in the circuit.Sounds like the coil had A back feed and depending on how complex the circuit is one wire terminated in the wrong spot can do funny things down the line.It is also possible that they never found the problem an just wired around it.All you can do is keep going through the control circuit from the xformer to the coil as many times as it takes to find it.don't trust even your own wire numbers one small distraction can cost many hours frustration when you power it up.Is the panel fed from two sources?Are there dry contacts used from another circuit? If it isn't the starter its got to be the controls and moving the pb may just be hiding the problem.Hope all safeties and fail safes are still in circuit.Most importantly nobody can fix everything and like you i wouldn't let it go until i figured it out or had someone show me.
cheers

[This message has been edited by frank (edited 09-02-2005).]