My nuggets of wisdom:

- don't ever hesitate to stop the work if it can't be done safely. Figure out what needs to be done to ensure the safety of yourselves and others before restarting the work. Time lost to correct problems and issues is a wise investment, especially compared to losses that are preventable.

- don't ever hesitate to call in a problem in another area of expertise if you detect an unsafe situation. Diplomacy can help in communicating the need for attention when it's not your area of expertise and your concern for safety shouldn't be limited to just the issues you know how to correct. (As an example, I called in, as a citizen, what I suspected was an electrical hazard that my daughter and a shelter-dog were walking around. Turned out to be a poor installation of an outdoor outlet and the wires were exposed and live right along the main street area.)

- Know your limitations. Prevent accidents and injuries by doing jobs safely. Get help when you can't do the job alone. Use the right tools. Delays may cost you time but rushing may cost you more in injuries or worse.