Hopes for the best of what is going to be a BAD hurricane in New Orleans. A friend of mine lives down there, and is going to hole up in a hotel that he manages. Figures its his safest bet at the present time. It being on a hill, and a solid new concrete building, with storm shutters and ample food and water stores. I asked... And they even have a life-raft in the emergency kit.

So this being an electrical forum.... So if you know the storm is coming, do you leave the power on? (All non-essential personel have been ordered out.) Or shut if off to stave off further damage from the enevitable short, flooded transformer vault, or downed line? NOLA is a 'bath tub' so to speak, being under sea-level. So flooding is enevitable. Would it not make sense to shut if off for the storm, rather than to present a hazard to Emergency Workers during it?

The reason I say this, when I was younger, I was out during a hurricane, (Gloria) and saw power-lines blown over on to a house. Burned a major portion of it while it took some time to get shut off.

Anyway, it going to be a bad storm for that whole area of the country. (Already has been.) There will be damage, but hope no more lives are lost to this storm.

Mark Heller
"Well - I oughta....." -Jackie Gleason