This might be more appropriate in the business section, but I'd like to hear from other than the business group also.

I often have jobs where I get slapped in the face by non-professional work. I recently contracted to install pool wiring. On opening the panel I noticed NM wiring with no connector. I turned the breaker off & it killed the basement. I know this model was built with an unfinished basement, and NM isn't allowed in this jurisdiction. I couldn't see a screw bonding the neutral bar to the panel, and there's a duplex for the sump (in MY work space). The back yard ext. outlet is very loose and not GFCI protected.

I write it all up on the final invoice of the pool contract, and speak about it with the owners. The conversation takes the usual "over-budget" from the pool turn & they aren't going to fix any of it yet.

To top it off, all of this showed up on a home inspection when they bought and the owner said "Take it or leave it...I'm not fixing it."

Although I run into this often, I don't always write it up. It's one of 30 jobs I don't always have time for. Am I exposing myself to any liability?

Dave