We'll hope to enjoy fireworks and festivities while we think of all those who have given their lives and their effort to keep this country free, including many of you!

Independence Day is my all-time favorite holiday (secular) for some reason. Maybe because it means so much and is cause for such joy and appreciation. Maybe because it stirs feelings of patriotism. Maybe because it is so valuable and comes at such a high cost. Maybe because there are scads of people who come together to enjoy the prize that is called liberty. Maybe because it encourages those who continue to make sacrifices if they know that we, as a country, hold them in high esteem and honor them with their due on this day. Maybe it's because 'old glory' really does fly gloriously in the summer breeze while pride mixes with humble appreciation in our hearts at the sight of it.

I don't know but the whole day and all the festivities certainly portray all that is good in our country, in my opinion.

I hope your celebration is as wonderful as we expect ours to be.

As an aside, we'll also be celebrating my nephew's promotion to PFC while he's in Viosec (sp?), Germany. (Photo at http://www3.caringbridge.org/nm/codya/photo.htm to elicit memories and share our family's pride. And for history buffs, please tell me if you see the family resemblance between him and his G-G-G-G (G-?) uncle, Gen. George B. McClellan... I think I do but that could just be my subjective view.)

[This message has been edited by BuggabooBren (edited 07-01-2005).]