"If installed correctly...."

Please indulge this old fart, while he reminices about the "Great aluminum wiring debate" in the late '60's and early '70's.

"Proper installation" was the rallying cry of the aluminum wire producers. IAEI (the electrical inspectors' group) led the charge against it.
Every month the IAEI documented case after case of aluminum wiring being the cause of property loss and injuries. And, every time it was shown that 'proper methods' were used, the manufacturers came up with some other excuse, some additional requirement.
It finally got to the point where the instructions were so convoluted that it was essentially impossible to comply with them, even in a laboratory setting. This, of course, meant that the wire makers could ALWAYS assert that the installation was at fault, not the material.
Despite their howls, eventually we got away from aluminum wire- to the benefit of all!

A similar thing happened in the '80's with poly-butaline plumbing tubing...only that one actually made it into court, where the industry failed to produce anyone who could make "correct" connections.

The standards for compatable materials changed so much, devices had to be re-tested and re-marked; thus the change form CU/AL to CO/ALR.

Let's face it...there were enough problems that we have to consider the experiment with aluminum wiring a failure.

Now all this puts Harry Homeowner in a bind. The stuff is found where- in older, lower-end housing, used by the very folks who can least afford a complete re-wire. And, if we don't deal with it somehow, Joe Handyman will. With predictable results.

I have not had to deal with the issue- yet. I'm not sure what I'd do if I did run across aluminum wire.
If I were doing a service change, I might consider seeing if AFCI's are any good.
If I were adding a receptacle, I'd make a home run to the panel.
If I was asked to replace a device...well, a re-wire of that circuit is probably the best bet.

Education is probably the best bet. Folks have to plan on a re-wire when they re-model or add on- and with the age of these buildings, it's only a matter of time before something gets updated.

I wish someone would evaluate the euro-style "choc-block" connector for these applications. The "choc-block" is essentially an insulated terminal strip, with a separate screw holding each wire in place. I suspact they would work out far better than even the purple wire nuts!

(for a pic of a "choc-block," see "Bathroom Electric," 11-02-04, Photos submitted for discussion forum.)