Andy sounds like your working your way into the I&E (Instrumentation/Electrical) field. First of all the fact that your looking to better yourself speaks volumes. Stick with it.
As for the comment George made about maintenance folks not being the most highly trained group. The message to me is that he is streotyping. My back round is an I&E tech that has provided well for my family.
I&E crafts deal with a multitude of electrical and control equipment on a daliy basis such as motors ranging from 12vdc to 2400 vac., 480 volt starters, single and three phase circuitry. Control transmitters including temperture, pressure, level, density, flow, and also lab type analyzers. They may work on control valves which could be as large as 48" or greater. Valve accuators, valve positioners, signal conditioners, etc. Variable speed drive motor controllers. High voltage (13.8kv) switch gear. All safety alarm and emergency shutdown systems.
And some of us hold state certifications and businesses away from our primary 8 to 5 jobs. Some do service repairs, new residential construction, and even HVAC on there off time.
Seems to me that one would need some knowledge and skills training in their respective field.
As I see it your on the right track if your planning to enter the I&E trade. They are very well versed in several avenues stemming from the electrical craft.
But I don't know if I would agree about the grass always being greener on the other side of the fence. I've worked in some pretty terriable conditions. The fact is that you know what you have, you don't know what you'll get. But don't let that keep you from reaching for your goals. Just use your skill that you have learned as any other tool in your pouch. Keep them sharp and always up to date. Andy, just remember that once you have learned something, it's yours to keep. Nobody will be able to take it away from you. You may become a little rusty, but with just a little review you'll be rigth back as if it were something you've just learned 2 day earlier.
I've enjoyed the field for better then 20 years, and I don't see it slowng up anytime soon.
Good luck, Bert