Be thankful you are in CA, I am applying to the state of OR for a license.
First they said the needed to prove 16,000 journeyman hours of experience, because I'm from another state. Did that. Then they said 24,000 because I didn't show any apprentice (567 hrs of classroom instruction) training. Sent an additional 8k hrs. They replied that I needed to show 16,000hrs as equivalent apprentice hours (Res, Comm, Ind, shop hours, fixtures, finish work, etc.) Sent in that and the guy says that because he doesn't like the verifiers name "Mr. Ocean" (it's legal and he really works in Local 302) the hours wouldn't count...and (any hours that are not on the state verification form and notarized are unacceptable), of 9 individual documents each from a different person or source (2 IBEW LOCALS and a University) documenting journeymen experience totaling 25,000 hrs the one person in the whole state whose shoulders the decision rest upon tells me, (although I've been working in the trade since 1980 and hold a Journeyman I. W. ticket since 99), that I am not qualified to sit for the test.

It’s a kangaroo court. All this isn’t for the license, it’s to sit for a test. No one ever called any of the people supplying the information or provided any assistance to discuss the reasons that the documents were being rejected.

The whole process has taken more than 6 months ( supply docs and six weeks later they change the tune…get more docs and six more weeks and then get another letter changing the game again, and so on). Only to finally be sent a formal letter of denial saying that I have 60 days to apply to an appeals board that will meet in another 60 days. Or I can re apply with all new documentation…non of the previous docs are applicable…be glad you are applying in CA

[This message has been edited by Ray97502 (edited 07-06-2005).]

[This message has been edited by Ray97502 (edited 07-06-2005).]