I got to reply to this, I can see where most would see this as a big no way, and the people that said this is a OSHA, you positive of that? I worked for the electric utility myself and at one time did also do the dist. work that your refering to a pad mount here. and someone mentioned that there is a barrier allready there (that is correct) and there most liky even 2 doors and the one with the primary behind it can remain closed. as for rules that the POCO would kill the pad mount to do the work I really doubt it, its done all the time hot (energized)... now the POCO I worked for would be doing all the work involed at the pad mount to a the meter, but in my area there is another utility that the EC pulls the conductor into the pad (with it energized)(and I have done this pulling into there pad mount's bye myself even as a EC) they do require that you show proof of insurance and your ELECTRIAN LICENSE before they give you the key/combination's to the pad mounts. and there is another city owned utility bye me that is allmost the same way no standards or rules at all. well had to give my 2 cents,,, but you did say PPE was being provided, so sounds like you should have what you need to get this done, there will be rubber blankets with big cloths pins type clamps, another way of putting it is Electric bussiness has got dangers, if the world didn't need electricians, you could grab anyone to do that....

[This message has been edited by highvoltageguy (edited 04-28-2005).]