I work in a hospital and today I was called to repair a large bakers oven that shorted out after the cook had cleaned it(they turned it on to dry it out) It took a total of 5 minutes to find the door switch was the problem and after calling around for parts it became apparent I wasn't going to find one soon.the door switch is just a micro switch that is rivited on to a bracket/plunger combanation.After a closer look i realized that i had these switches in stock so i ground off the rivets and replaced it with screws,lock washers, and a dab of locktight for extra measure and replaced the original fish paper it was wrapped in.Also I had noticed that this circuit was protected by a 15 amp fuse while the original micro switch was rated at 10 amp?After I was satisfied with the repair I did the usual stuff like check the motor starter contacts,check chassis ground continuity with other nearby grounded equipment,check all terminal screw tightness ect.the cook comes and I have her run it through a cycle and she says its great so I pack up my stuff and leave.After getting home the kitchen supervisor calls me up and says theres a guy here from one of the places I had called looking for parts.He has the oven apart and is saying its not running properly.Well its all I can do to keep from driving down there and sticking my boot up his a$$.When he gets on the phone with me (and I'm being nice)he says nothing to me about the oven not working right instead he says I they didn't leave a number when they called so he came down to see what we wanted?Now heres what's bugging me
(1)I called and I know I left a my pager #
(2) why was a 10 amp switch on a 15 amp circuit
(3)when he took the stove apart did he leave me a bomb?!?!
(4) would you go lock out the oven until you could recheck it since he may have done something to it.
(5)would you guys replace the switch the same way I did as I belive it to be safer then what was there in the first place.
O YA WHEN HE LEFT HE TOOK THE SUPERVISORS MASTER KEY WITH HIM.Man is she pissed off.She put them down while talking to him.