I have a SQ-D panelboard that is overheating and can not get proper help from the factory representative. This is a 400 amp, single-phase 240 volt panel that is feeding ball field lighting. The light fixtures are 1500 watt sport-lighter fixtures. The panel is feeding eight poles with four 1500 watt fixtures on each pole. I measured the voltage and current at all locations and can not find anything unusual, no voltage drop problems or overcurrent problems. All connections at the panel, circuit breakers and fixture junction boxes are tight with no loose connections. The problem is that when the lights are on for more than 15 minutes the circuit breakers are so hot you can not touch them for more than 5 seconds. The Square-D rep. is thinking it could be a harmonics problem. Has anyone else had this problem.

EDIT:
I will get more information that you guys are asking for as soon as I get out to the job site with the factory rep.. The weather has been a factor with the job site meeting. I will provide temp. readings, voltage and amprage readings along with wire size and lenght, although I do not believe wire and length have anything to do with this application. Please stand by until I can provide more information.

[This message has been edited by Larry Ural (edited 02-23-2005).]