BigB, don't let the "R's" confuse you. It's just coincidence that these things begin with them. There was no such thing as an RJ-45 jack back in the 40's when the military came up with the RG naming convention for coaxial cables.

The smaller cable you are thinking of is probably RG59. I assume you are saying that it is smaller than RG6. RG11 is really big, nearly 7/16 in diameter. Is it OK to splice into it? No, read what I said about RG59 above.

As for jacks, get yourself a copy of the Leviton telecom products catalog. Loads of information on the subject in the back.

CAT3 and RG6 is just what the doctor ordered for all voice and CATV wiring. A lot of people will just use CAT5 for everything because they can't be bothered. Keep in mind that CAT5 costs more. Not by a huge amount for non-plenum PVC but the difference is staggering between CAT3 and CAT5 plenum, up to three or four times! So it pays to know your cables.

While I'm ranting about CAT5, I've often said that it seems to be the universal LV cable used by electricians. When I see voice wiring done in CAT5 I know right away who did it. Personally I wouldn't use the stuff for anything that didn't require it, not just because of cost but the tight twists can make it time consuming and a PITA to terminate.

Now, I don't know what is going to happen whe the next flavors of cables are introduced and CAT5e becomes obsolete. Some of the new stuff has a plastic spline down the middle, bonded pairs and other stuff that is going to make you REALLY not want to use it unless you have to. Guess I'm just ahead of the curve. [Linked Image]

-Hal