Here is a question I received on another board. Any thoughts?

Question -
I am in the process of remodeling my kitchen. I have purchased a separate single built in Oven and a separate built in microwave oven to be installed directly above the oven. These two new separate units are replacing a single combination oven / microwave. The issue is the old unit was simply hard wired to a 220 / 240 connection, there was only one connection to power both units. My new oven requires the 220 / 240 but the microwave is simply corded for 110/120. My question is this can I tap off of the 220/240 and create a 110 / 120 outlet for the microwave and still hardwire the oven to the same 220 / 240 line. While I believe the simple answer to this is yes will it be to code (I am in California) and do I have ample circuit protection on the microwave as it will be on the 220 / 240 circuit which I believe is a 50A? My alternative is to tap into an existing wall outlet which is possible but more work. Which is the best solution?
Answer -
Hi Tom.

You cannot tap onto the 50amp circuit for a 120v outlet. I would also suggest that you do not tap into an existing circuit for the microwave, but get a new dedicated circuit pulled in for it. The microwave is a large load, so a seperate 20amp, 120volt circuit should be used for it.

Hope this helps.

Rick Miell

follow-up question

Rick - thanks for the answer, the interesting thing here is that I received a different answer from another qualified source. Can you explain the specific on why I should not tap off from the 240?

In addition to the standard 120 outlet nearby which all agreed is not a good source as the micro will like trip the breaker I have a Fridge outlet which I think is at least 20A maybe 30A. Could I tap into that to get the microwave outlet (it is being used by the Fridge) as a options to pulling a new dedicated line.

Tom