OK - I've done several "panel swaps", where I replaced fuse boxes for breaker panels; I've also changed out single drop services.

I've never had to re-do an outside service drop for a multiple family dwelling, so this is partly a lack of experience admission.

I removed the old (1 1/4") RMC and double meter box, and replaced it with 2" EMT to the first meter - two separate single-meter boxes nippled together. I then branched off into the units, following the original run paths, ones runs from each meter to each unit's new breaker panel.

The AHJ just bounced my install. I missed the section in the Commonwealth Edison handbook about bussed meters [Linked Image] -

(6.33) In the case of multiple-position or grouped meter connection devices, conductors or bus from the source of supply shall be continuous to the last meter connection device and connected to the meter connection device terminals in accordance with the Company's requirements.

(6.34) Metered load conductors shall not pass through adjacent meter connection devices unless such conductors are properly
barriered from the unmetered conductors and are an integral part of an approved prewired multiple-position meter socket assembly.

"My bad" as they say in the hood.

Then the AHJ tells me that the entrance riser has to be GRC. The only ComEd ref. I can find that requires rigid is the following:

® Service run.
Rigid conduit must be used if the service run is extended through the roof.

Since the riser is supported on the wall, and doesn't penetrate the roof (not a mast), isn't EMT allowable?

The AHJ went on to tell me that EMT isn't allowed as a riser in the NEC... but in the '96 Code (which our city follows), there's the following:

230.45 Wiring Methods for 600 Volts, Nominal, or Less

Service-entrance conductors shall be installed in accordance with the applicable requirements of this Code covering the types of wiring methods used and limited to the following methods: (1) open wiring on insulators; (2) Type IGS cable; (3)rigid metal conduit; (4)intermediate Metal Conduit; (5) [u]electrical metallic tubing[u]...

I can understand the requirements for RMC as a riser, but if it's supported?

Just venting before I go out and buy more materials for this job...