I usually explain anything a customer wants to know. I ALWAYS look for hazards of all kinds. I can come out on a bad switch call and i take a quick look around make sure they have smokes, carbon monx dect. etc. If i see any other hazards ie extension cords under carpet etc they get advised about it as well as what can happen. Once again its that firefighter thing in my blood.
I must say though i recently went out to look at a side job for one of my wifes clients. He wanted new outlets installed and changed out. He also wanted to replace some switches threeways etc pretty much just a quick update of devices. SO he begins to ask some questions as i pop open some cover plates to finish my estimate. I go ahead and drop back off my writen estimate and await a call back. Nothing for a couple of weeks ok it happens. Next thing i know my wife comes home from work one day and says your not going to beleive this, so and so was in today and he told me to say thanks for explaining how to fix those items he deceided he could handle it on is own and did such. I was ready to insert foot into my own mouth. That cost me a few hundred bucks. So i do tend to feel a person out prior to speaking anymore. Sorry so long winded.