Dare I say it ryobi is crap in comparison to dewalt, mechanically speaking.

It sounds like battery life is your issue here. I have extra batteies from my last dewalt that outlasted the life of the tool. (About 4 years with heavy use but proper care)

A hammer drill by design will self-destruct, but that is another story. But back to the battery issue. In the old days of rechargables, the Makita batteries needed to completely discharge due to "Battery Memory", and that is now a thing of the past. Yet I still see people running out thier dewalt batteries that have non-memory batteries. If you apply Ohm's law to this practice, you're over-amping the battery every time as the voltage gets lower. Voltage down, amperage up. It destroys the battery and motors.

I have a practice as I start work every day of putting one battery on the charger. I work ALL DAY with the other until it just starts the fade, about 2PM, and switch. Like I said, I have had the same batteries for years now.

Funny thing is, the last time I had to by a drill, due to loss, I thought of buying a Bosch, (a better tool) but I had all these extra dewalt batteries, and chargers I could afford to loose them. And, I'm stuck on 14.4 because that was the biggest they made back then on the initial investment.

Mark Heller
"Well - I oughta....." -Jackie Gleason