Joel,

I wear both hats myself, and I find it makes a change from concentrating on the same thing day after day.

I have my cozy workshop at home for electronics work, and go out on local electrical jobs as and when called. The outside wiring work is much more physical, which to an extent compensates for the rather sedentary work I'm doing the rest of the time.

I must confess that after spending three straight days crawling through somebody's dusty attic running cables, it's nice to have a day at home in clean clothes working at the bench.

Obviously you'll have no problems with basic theory like smeone startin from scratch, so you can concentrate all your efforts on the practical and code side, both of which the other guys here are far more qualified to help you with, as things are somewhat different here in England.

I'd echo what some of the others have said about getting into some sort of practical "on-the-job" training though to see if you're going to like it first.

I enjoy a lot of the work (not all!), but I have to say that I wouldn't want to be at it 5 or 6 days a week non-stop. I like my restful days in the workshop!

Good luck.