At the company I work for as an electrical engineer, I worked my way up to it. I worked as a production electrician building units for 2 1/2 years, and have been in engineering for another 2 1/2 years.

The problem now is that when I go out on the floor, the people I used to work with treat me like I'm slumming. Case in point. Today I found a set of units. These are going on rooftops in NYC and surrounding areas. Between the electrical enclosure and the main disconnect was a horizontal run of 2" EMT. There were no gaskets.

I told them they needed gaskets especially since the rest of the unit was EMT/Sealtight. They said that they were told they didn't need them because they couldn't get our standard seals and the plastic caps on. Which I verified as true, and found they had forgotten to put one on and cut it in half to install instead of undoing the wire.

I then told them to take the gaskets off of some LT fittings so they could get a gasket and a cap on each one. Then put the standard seals on the LT fittings since they had longer threads.

They refused. I told them we would get sued if water leaked into the panel and fried the customers controller. They told me to get someone to authorize it. Which as the lead electrician on this job is me. They disagreed.

We always use sealtight and sealing gaskets when conduit is on the exterior of outdoor units, or did when I worked on the floor.

Has anyone else had these problems? How did you handle it?

In this case the units will get the gaskets if I have to do it myself.

Robert