I would consider local inspectors to provide a closer relationship with the consumer; this is not to question the professionalism of State or County Inspectors (the job is tough enough as it stands). In my state local inspectors are mostly appointed by the selectmen or town or city officials depending on the type of government some are civil service such as in the larger cities. Over-sight is through our Board of Examiners. Where each municipality has a local inspector I would expect the AHJ can respond in a timely manner to site inspections, they are also available to the local Fire Chiefs during fires (public safety). Additionally as a local inspector you have an opportunity to develop a professional relationship with local contractors, this is a double-edged sword and in many circumstances requires a degree of tact you get to know the inspectors and they get to know you. . The down side of the local inspectors may be more inspectors. By that I refer to inconsistencies when formulating interpretations, no one wishes to be wrong and egos’ can muddy the water. Following several strings on this site illustrates how difficult it is to develop a consensus (I think everyone here who contributes is reasonably civil), Attend an Inspectors meeting (if you don’t already). They do not always agree with what the Code or State Regulations mean. That being said I know many local municipal inspectors personally and they all do a good job.